Are Your Clients Skeptical?
When you read or hear about a new program that is promising never before seen results like, “Make Six Figures in Six Weeks” or “Lose 50 lbs. in 5 days,” do you believe it? Many of us know when it sounds too good to be true, it’s usually too good to be true. The result of these “over-promise and under-deliver” campaigns is we’ve become a society of skeptical people. It can be challenging for clients to find what’s right for them and who’s the real deal. With this in mind, how are your clients able to determine if what you’re offering is legitimate and will solve their problem or meet their need?
The answer most people give me when I ask them this question is “I offer a free 30 minute consultation call.” I then ask, how many people are signing up for this free consultation call? Turns out, very few if any at all. Let’s be honest, most of us skeptics think Free Consultation = Sales Pitch. When I visit someone’s website and see the offer for a free consultation call, I don’t sign up. Do you?
The only time I sign up for a free consultation call is after having been exposed to that person’s work in some way other than on their website. It feels too risky otherwise. I want to know what I’m getting myself into before blocking out 30 minutes in my very busy schedule.Chances are your clients feel the same way. This means you need to have more than one way for people to be exposed to your work other than relying solely on your website and the offer for a free consultation call.
Your Savvy Sales Tip this week: Winning over skeptical clients
Offer prospects multiple ways to be exposed to your work. The skeptics in us want to be able to check you out and make sure you’re the real deal before we hire you.
A few days ago a woman I met over 2 yrs ago scheduled a consultation call with me to find out more about us working together. She mentioned that she had seen me speak 2 times in the last year. It wasn’t until after the second time of hearing me speak that she decided I was the right coach for her. She said she’d been burned before when working with other coaches and wanted to make sure I was the real deal before hiring me. As a result of putting myself out there for her to be exposed to my work, I now get to work with a very exciting woman doing amazing things to change the world.
This week I’m encouraging you to take a look at how many ways you have available for clients to be exposed to your work. A free consultation call is not enough. There’s got to be more.
Here’s the list of “low risk” offers I currently have to expose people to my work:
- weekly blog with one sales tip anyone can implement into their business
- weekly newsletter with one sales tip anyone can implement into their business
- multiple videos of me offering sales tips so people get a sense of my style and are able to determine how it might fit with their own style
- 2 free pre-recorded training downloads on my website
- quarterly live free training events offered so people can learn as well as ask me questions
- speak regularly to networking groups so people get a chance to hear and see me in action – this is by far my most successful way of earning new clients
- active social media presence on Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn
- complimentary pdf download on my website with sales advice
- books available on Amazon
- complimentary selling strength assessment call where people get some new insight into their own selling strengths and areas in need of improvement (notice this is very different than a “complimentary consultation call”)
Take a look at your own offering and see what else is needed. When you make it easy for clients to determine if what you offer meets their needs or solves their problems, they’ll hire you.
Wishing you continued success this week.
To download free Resources from Nikki: www.yoursalesmaven.com/maven
Ways To Work With Nikki
- Private 1:1 Coaching: tailored specifically to you and your business (most popular)
- Sales Maven Society: sales training & direct access to Nikki in a membership platform
- Master Class: in-person and virtual workshops
- Strategy Session: 50 minute coaching session over Zoom
- Corporate Trainings: team trainings